Residents flex their voting muscles in choosing new gym
The results are in after residents voted for which of the outdoor gym designs they want to see built in Ottery.
An impressive turnout of more than 300 people made their decision on which gym they would like on the Land of Canaan at last Friday’s late-night shopping.
But there was a clear winner, and with 88 per cent of the votes was a design from HAGS, a firm who recently designed the equipment for a children’s play area at Sidmouth.
The decision needs to be ratified by Ottery Town Council at their meeting on Monday before East Devon District Council can order the equipment to get the gym installed.
The two councils have been working with local parent Nicki Young, who proposed the idea, to provide Ottery St Mary residents with a free outdoor gym with funding accumulated from recent housing developments, known as Section 106 money.
You may also want to watch:
The outdoor gym was chosen as one of the winning ideas after residents were asked how to spend the cash, and �15,000 will now be spent on the scheme.
The Mayor Glyn Dobson said: “I’m pleased at such a positive outcome so that we have a definite choice by the community to help us provide this very worthwhile project.”
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open