Residents get chance to name new path for Beer
The Parish Council are offering readers the chance to name the new off-road path in Beer now it has approval from Devon County Council.
The proposed scheme, which stretches between Long Hill and Beer Hill in the village, is likely to finally come to fruition this financial year after a long battle to get the project off the ground.
The idea for a path from was conceived by the community, but took years of work by the Parish Council and then support from District and County Councillors to ultimately become a live project.
The proposed path will run in the field along the south side of New Road, the busy main road from Beer to Seaton, and it is hoped will vastly improve road safety for the two communities, along with the visitors to the area.
But the scheme has been many years in the making, with the Parish Council starting to take action in 2007 to overcome the issues blocking its path, such as assigning one Parish Councillor, Eric Cozens, to simplify the process.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually the project was guided through the planning process before being authorised to proceed during 2011/12 by the DCC Cabinet Budget Committee last month.
A statement from Beer Parish Council said: “Success for this four-year journey will only be recorded once the path is available for people to use and continue their own particular travels in safety. But now, at least, there is optimism that a very long journey may be coming to a happy end.”
- 1 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 2 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 3 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 4 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 5 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 6 Smart mowing will create a corridor for small creatures
- 7 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 8 Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to welcome world leaders to South West
- 9 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 10 Rob to serve up your top topping for your perfect pizza this month
Anybody with any suggestions for a name for the path should visit http://www.beerparishcouncil.org.uk for details.