Residents speak out over Tipton homes plan

PUBLISHED: 15:06 07 June 2010 | UPDATED: 14:04 18 June 2010

TIPTON St John residents have spoken out against proposals which could see the number of homes in the village rocket by 25 per cent.

TIPTON St John residents have spoken out against proposals which they say could see the number of homes in the village rocket by 25 per cent.

More than 100 residents turned out on Wednesday (June 2) as developer Devonshire Homes re-ignited its bid to build up to 56 new homes on land south of Otter Close.

Tipton's Residents Association members said of the 111 people asked for their opinions at a public exhibition, just six were in favour of the proposals. It is claimed more than 100 were against the bid.

Devonshire Homes representatives said the project, which features 40per cent 'affordable' homes, is an "opportunity" for the people of Tipton and would add "vitality" to the village.

Numerous schemes were on show on with different options featuring a minimum of 39 dwellings to a maximum of 56.

The event was the second of its kind in two years as Devonshire Homes gauged public opinion.

Residents Association members who spoke to the Herald held concerns over drainage, sewerage, access and traffic.

"Nothing has changed," said chairman Margaret Hutchesson, "There's been a greater turnout, but from the people who voted opinions haven't changed."

"It's worried us even more," said Lyn Harding.

"I'm less convinced," said Mary Bavidge, "Tipton is a lovely village, I'd hate to see it fouled with traffic."

Devonshire Homes representatives said traffic plans had been drawn up with Devon County Council highways chiefs and designs were in line with national guidelines.

Steve Russell, the firm's land and planning director, said residents' comments will be considered as proposals are developed.

"The event proved extremely worthwhile and I would like to extend the team's thanks to those that attended and discussed the proposals with us," he said.

"With regard to highways ad drainage matters, the team will continue to liaise with the appropriate authorities about the proposed solutions.

"I had many conversations with local people and received many helpful comments, particularly regarding our proposed access arrangements and the sunken lane adjacent to the site. The team and I will now be reviewing the scheme in light of all the comments made, which will help inform our next steps."

The firm hopes to hand a planning application to East Devon District Council by September.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald