RESURRECTED: Ottery Convent homes and shop decision reversed.
PUBLISHED: 11:00 15 May 2010 | UPDATED: 13:58 18 June 2010
Copyright Archant Ltd
RESURRECTED multi-million pound plans to change the face of Ottery s town centre WILL become a reality.
RESURRECTED multi-million pound plans to change the face of Ottery's town centre WILL become a reality.
The Planning Inspectorate this week overturned East Devon District Council's (EDDC) decision to refuse a developer permission to build four townhouses, eight apartments, a shop and office in the grounds of the Marist Convent.
All aspects of the once doomed scheme have been given the go-ahead, leaving shocked nearby homeowners "devastated."
The Herald broke the news to some stunned Franklea Close residents, who said of the reversal: "It stinks".
A spokesman for land-owner Sea Valley Properties Ltd said the firm was pleased by the verdict, but no decision has been made on when construction work will begin.
Development must start within three years.
He added the firm will make a contribution of £67,000 towards local education, but will not fork out any further community cash.
Planning inspector Chris Anscombe reached the verdict in a following an appeal meeting in Ottery on April 20.
EDDC's decision to refuse the controversial bid planning permission in November last year rested on the predicted affect the proposed apartment block would have on the "character and appearance" of an Ottery conservation area, and homes' impact on Franklea Close properties.
Lack of financial contributions to improve public open spaces also came under scrutiny
EDDC officers had recommended plans for approval.
Sea Valley contested the ruling and the Planning Inspectorate on Wednesday concluded the appeal should succeed, granting the firm permission.
Steep sloping land at the site has been labelled Ottery town-centre's only "green oasis.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box below for details.