Retail giant quashes rumours about new store in Newton Poppleford
- Credit: Archant
A retail giant has quashed rumours that it is planning to open a new store in Newton Poppleford.
It all comes after keyboard commentators took to social media after a post claimed Tesco had bought the recently closed La Rosetta restaurant in the village.
It was rumoured that the retail giant was planning to open a store which would also include a post office.
More than a dozen residents left a stream of comments on the Newton Poppleford Community and Selling Group Facebook page sharing their views on the potential use of the High Street building.
One man said the claims were based on information from someone who worked for the firm.
You may also want to watch:
After hearing the rumours, the Herald contacted Tesco bosses for clarification on whether it was actually planning to set up shop.
A spokesman said the claims were false and that they ‘had no plans for a store’ in Newton Poppleford.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 3 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 4 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Hospitality needs a 'seat at cabinet the table' in Westminster - Michael Caines
- 7 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 8 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 9 An extra £4.6 billion made available to support UK businesses during lockdown
- 10 TOTO TALK - musings of a dog about town