Retirement apartments specialist eyes former Sidmouth care home
- Credit: Archant
Firm’s interest in Devon County Council-owned Green Close in Sidford
A privately-owned, family-run business specialising in retirement apartments has set its sights on the former Green Close care home in Sidford.
Churchill Retirement Living will launch an online consultation in the coming days before holding a public exhibition on Monday, February 29, in St Peter’s Church Hall, Sidford.
Green Close was closed in 2014 as part of £110million of cost-cutting measures by Devon County Council (DCC).
DCC announced last year that it was advertising the 23-bed facility to private companies.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Burgess, Churchill’s planning director, said: “We’re preparing plans for the site in Sidford. We’ll be consulting the local community and councillors with our plans at a public exhibition on February 29.”
A Devon County Council spokesman said: “Discussions have progressed with the successful bidder but due to the commercially sensitive nature of the transaction we cannot provide any further information at this stage.”
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Councillor Stuart Hughes,Sidmouth/Sidford representative, said: “We’ll have to wait to hear any final announcement but I’m hopeful that the site will continue to be used to benefit older people in the local community.”
Churchill says residents will soon be able to view the proposals at www.churchillretirement.co.uk/planning/live-consultations/