Ring fetches £20,000 at Sidmouth auction
- Credit: Archant
A sale ended the year on a high for Sidmouth auctioneers when a ring fetched a five-figure sum.
More than 500 lots were offered to bidders at Potburys’ last antiques and decorative sale of 2016, with a number of stand-out items attracting widespread interest.
A record number of bidders registered to bid online. Extra staff were also drafted in to handle the number of telephone bidders.
The star lot was a three-carat solitaire diamond ring, which was highly coveted. With fierce bidding in the room and seven telephone bidders, it eventually sold for £20,000.
Auction manager Brinley Roberts said: “It was a great finish to the year with brilliant results across a wide range of lots and some exciting moments in the auction room.”
You may also want to watch:
Other lots included a 1961 Norton SS motorbike that sold for £6,200, a three-quarter sized snooker table that fetched £850 and a collection of stamps and covers from Epsom’s Pirate Postal Service, which operated during the 1971 postal strike, sold for £700.
Potburys is staging a general and collectable sale on Tuesday (December 20), its last event of the year.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown