Ring fetches £20,000 at Sidmouth auction
- Credit: Archant
A sale ended the year on a high for Sidmouth auctioneers when a ring fetched a five-figure sum.
More than 500 lots were offered to bidders at Potburys’ last antiques and decorative sale of 2016, with a number of stand-out items attracting widespread interest.
A record number of bidders registered to bid online. Extra staff were also drafted in to handle the number of telephone bidders.
The star lot was a three-carat solitaire diamond ring, which was highly coveted. With fierce bidding in the room and seven telephone bidders, it eventually sold for £20,000.
Auction manager Brinley Roberts said: “It was a great finish to the year with brilliant results across a wide range of lots and some exciting moments in the auction room.”
You may also want to watch:
Other lots included a 1961 Norton SS motorbike that sold for £6,200, a three-quarter sized snooker table that fetched £850 and a collection of stamps and covers from Epsom’s Pirate Postal Service, which operated during the 1971 postal strike, sold for £700.
Potburys is staging a general and collectable sale on Tuesday (December 20), its last event of the year.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory