Ros and Dave raise £1,172 at final coffee morning
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising couple from Newton Poppleford had an ‘emotional’ send-off after raising £1,172 at their last-ever coffee morning.
Dave and Ros Hancock began fundraising for Hospiscare 13 years ago and to date have raised more than £36,000 for the charity.
The couple dressed up in festive costumes to welcome more than 100 people to the coffee morning on Saturday.
Ros, 82, said: “It was a very emotional morning. We just thought we would do it [the coffee mornings] a couple of times, but time goes so fast that you do not realise until it comes up to coffee morning time again.
“I would have loved to go on, but it’s too much for me. It’s one of those things that has to come to an end.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank-you to everyone for coming and to everyone that has supported us over the years.”
Dave, 77, said he will continue to raise money for Hospiscare at car boot sales for as long as he can.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
Patrick Beasley, president of Hospiscare, attended the event to thank the couple for their support.
Lauren Mercer, community fundraiser for Hospiscare, said: “Ros and Dave have worked so hard to promote Hospiscare in their local community, which was clear to see from the amount of people that came to support their last coffee morning – there was hardly room to move in Newton Poppleford Village Hall.
“Throughout the morning, there was a warm and loving atmosphere. It was clear to see that Hospiscare is very dear to the hearts of Ros and Dave and their commitment has been infectious.”
Anyone who wishes to take over the running of the coffee morning can contact Hospiscare fundraising team on 01392 688020.