Rotarian Swimathon to aid Sidmouth cancer group
Sidmouth Rotarian’s Swimathon is big boost for Campaign 2010 group
THINGS are going swimmingly for Sidmouth Living With Cancer Support Group, with the Rotary Club of Sidmouth announcing their fourth Swimathon will be in aid of the charity.
It means Campaign 2010 is well on course to reach its �35,000 target before the end of the year.
Rotarian David Cooper is organising this year’s Swimathon, which takes place at Sidmouth Swimming Pool on Saturday, October 30.
He said: “The Rotary Club is very enthusiastic about this charity and 100 percent agreed we should support it. We have every expectation that this year will be successful and profitable.”
You may also want to watch:
Each year Rotarians put forward teams for the Swimathon and do a lot of behind-the-scenes work, organising and choreographing events on the day.
“We are ever grateful for the support we get from the swimming pool staff,” said Mr Cooper.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
In 2008 the Swimathon raised more than �11,000, �10,000 of which was for Help for Heroes. Mr Cooper hopes for a similar response for SWLC, which has produced special leaflets about the group and its aims, to be sent out to all who apply to enter the event.
The Swimathon is open to all living in East Devon. Swimmers will seek sponsorship and take part in a team of at least five, to swim for 55 minutes in one lane with one person swimming at a time.
Teams can choose a time to swim between 4pm and 9pm on the day and organisers will do their best to accommodate them.
It will be down to the team to collect their sponsorship money after the swim and return to Rotarian Brian Pankhurst.
Closing date for entries is Friday, October 8. To get an entry form, contact David Raistrick (01395) 512798 or email email@example.com.