Rotary Club of Otter Valley raises £3,040 for Grenfell Tower disaster fund
- Credit: Archant
Generous shoppers have raised £3,000 in three days for those affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.
Members of the Rotary Club of Otter Valley held collections at McColls in West Hill, Tesco in Honiton, and Sainsbury’s in Pinhoe in aid of the Grenfell Disaster Fund.
Club president Greg Layzell has been in contact with Rotarians in Kensington and Chelsea, who will use the money on needed items.
At the weekend, Mr Layzell visited the tower block where at least 80 people are estimated to have lost their lives.
He said: “It was the most eerie place I had visited; the site was cordoned off all the way around, there were all different forms of memorials and pictures attached to the fencing.
You may also want to watch:
“As I walked around it stuck me on how quiet everything was; there were hundreds of people filing past and reading all the memorials but no one was saying a word, even the cars going past were going so slow you could not hear the engines.”
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways