Rotary’s help for cyclone victims
Sid Valley Rotary Club will be raising money to send special survival kits to cyclone-hit Vanuatu.
The island nation was hit by the worst recorded storm in the Pacific last Friday with gusts up to 185mph.
Reports suggest that Cyclone Pam has left more than 250,000 people homeless.
The rotary club will be collecting donations at Waitrose from 8.30am to 4.30pm tomorrow [Saturday] in aid of ShelterBox.The charity has already distributed 11,000 emergency kits which provide up to 10 people with enough resources to live for three months.
The boxes cost more than £500 each.
You may also want to watch:
Response teams from nearby Australia and New Zealand have already arrived in the country to deliver essential aid from pre-positioned stocks in neighbouring countries to reach families as quickly as possible.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park