Rotary’s help for cyclone victims
Sid Valley Rotary Club will be raising money to send special survival kits to cyclone-hit Vanuatu.
The island nation was hit by the worst recorded storm in the Pacific last Friday with gusts up to 185mph.
Reports suggest that Cyclone Pam has left more than 250,000 people homeless.
The rotary club will be collecting donations at Waitrose from 8.30am to 4.30pm tomorrow [Saturday] in aid of ShelterBox.The charity has already distributed 11,000 emergency kits which provide up to 10 people with enough resources to live for three months.
The boxes cost more than £500 each.
You may also want to watch:
Response teams from nearby Australia and New Zealand have already arrived in the country to deliver essential aid from pre-positioned stocks in neighbouring countries to reach families as quickly as possible.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead