Round-Britain coastwalker enjoys ‘friendly’ Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A man who is walking around the coastline of Britain for charity, relying on ‘the kindness of strangers’ for food and accommodation, has praised the ‘friendly’ people of Sidmouth.
Chris Howard is trekking clockwise around the perimeter of the mainland, ‘keeping the sea on my left’, to raise money for Children In Need.
He set off from Norfolk on July 29 and arrived in Sidmouth in the late afternoon of Friday, September 18.
Mr Howard said a ‘very kind lady’ gave him a bed for the night and then walked with him through The Byes in the morning, to make sure he could find his way back to the coast path.
He said: “Sidmouth was lovely and everyone very friendly but I think I probably just arrived too late in the day to really appreciate it all.
You may also want to watch:
“I never have much time to sort of get to know people.”
After Sidmouth, he made his way to Exmouth where he said he ‘loved the great vibe – and what a beach!’
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride