Route 66 tribute to ‘amazing’ granddad Norman
- Credit: Archant
AN Ottery man dedicated completing an epic charity cycle ride across America to his ‘amazing’ granddad - who died while he was taking on the feat.
Former soldier Jon Gooch learned of the bereavement while tackling the gruelling 2,000-mile challenge across Route 66.
He said his grandfather, Norman, was his number one supporter and was ‘very proud’ of what Jon, 26, and friend John Mathieson were doing.
The duo braved 100 degree heat and battled seized muscles and bad sunburn on the three-week trek from Chicago to Santa Monica in California.
They even had a knife pulled on them by a mugger.
You may also want to watch:
The ride was in aid of the FireFighters Charity.
Sainsbury’s employee Jon is currently training to be a retained firefighter in Ottery.
- 1 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 2 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 3 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 4 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 5 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 6 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 9 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
There is still time to donate, either directly to Jon at Sainsbury,s in Hind Street or online at http://www.justgiving.com/jonathan-gooch.