Sad news as SADS cancels this year’s Christmas panto
- Credit: Archant
Covid-19 has led to a break in a 42-year tradition, with the cancellation of this year’s pantomime by the Sidmouth Amateur Dramatic Society (SADS).
The group has staged a pantomime at the Manor Pavilion Theatre every year since 1978.
But it has announced that this year’s production cannot take place, because of the need for social distancing and other coronavirus precautions.
SADS Chairman Heather Hodge said: “Even if the Manor Pavilion were to open their doors again by the end of the year, it would come with many restrictions including social distancing.
“This would inevitably reduce our audience and performance capacity.
You may also want to watch:
“We have to also think about the safety of our cast and backstage team. Our rehearsal space is quite small and we would not be able to offer the one-metre social distancing.
“It is a very sad day for us but we will be back in 2021 - oh yes we will.”
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future