Sidmouth Regatta events called off as wind, rain and waves lash the coast
- Credit: Archant
Bad weather ends Regatta events in Sidmouth
Regatta sailing events had to be called off today (Sunday) because of stormy weather with rain and waves lashing the seafront and winds gusting up to 35 mile per hour.
A treasure hunt also had to be cancelled in some of the most atrocious weather conditions for a Sidmouth Regatta in years.
A children’s drawing competition and a fancy dress did go ahead in the sailing club with about 20 children taking part and prizes provided by Gliddons Toyshop in the town.
Oliver Salter, one of the organisers, said: “We have had it like this once before with waves actually coming over the front but it is what it is. When it’s wet and windy like this there’s nothing much we can do about it, we just had to cancel the sailing.”
It was in stark contrast to yesterday (Saturday) when there was a full timetable of events including the popular three-legged fancy dress pub event and raft race.
- 1 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 2 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 3 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 4 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 5 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 6 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
- 7 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 8 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 9 Artist's collection of life's work on show this winter
- 10 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic