Sidmouth Regatta events called off as wind, rain and waves lash the coast
- Credit: Archant
Bad weather ends Regatta events in Sidmouth
Regatta sailing events had to be called off today (Sunday) because of stormy weather with rain and waves lashing the seafront and winds gusting up to 35 mile per hour.
A treasure hunt also had to be cancelled in some of the most atrocious weather conditions for a Sidmouth Regatta in years.
A children’s drawing competition and a fancy dress did go ahead in the sailing club with about 20 children taking part and prizes provided by Gliddons Toyshop in the town.
Oliver Salter, one of the organisers, said: “We have had it like this once before with waves actually coming over the front but it is what it is. When it’s wet and windy like this there’s nothing much we can do about it, we just had to cancel the sailing.”
You may also want to watch:
It was in stark contrast to yesterday (Saturday) when there was a full timetable of events including the popular three-legged fancy dress pub event and raft race.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride