Samaritans’ friends to fold after 40 years
- Credit: Archant
A long-running fundraising group, which has donated more than £114,000 to charity, is to fold as it cannot find a new committee.
The Sidmouth Friends of Samaritans was formed more than 40 years ago by Betty Easey to support the Exeter, Mid and East Devon branch of the charity.
Committee members have raised £114,532 over the course of four decades to help provide round-the-clock assistance for people who need emotional support.
Sue Kensdale, chariman of the committee, said: “Reluctantly, the Sidmouth Friends of Samaritans committee has now decided to terminate all our activities after December 2015. This is due to the inevitable increase in age and fitness of many of our colleagues, friends and helpers, together with the difficulty in obtaining suitable replacements when these have to step aside.
“Our committee is very grateful to everyone who has supported us over many years.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Kensdale urged members to continue to support the Exeter, Mid and East Devon branch as it last year received 23,411 phone calls, 3,648 text messages and 2,394 emails.
She said: “The value of the service provided by the Samaritans cannot ever be over-estimated and deserves the support of all of us.”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
The committee will host its final event, a Christmas fair coffee morning on Saturday, November 28, at the Methodist Hall in High Street, from 10am to noon.