Saturdays in Sidmouth to boost independent businesses
- Credit: Archant
Some 90 independent businesses from Temple Street to the seafront signed up to promote one another as Saturdays@Sidmouth launched at the weekend.
Organisers say shoppers will be the real winners when retailers and eateries swap vouchers to keep trade in the town, with discounts that will change every weekend.
The idea came from chamber of commerce chairman Steven Kendall-Torry, but is open to all, and was kicked off at his newly-revamped shop, Pure Indulgence.
“It should really be one of the town’s biggest promotional events we’ve had in a long time,” he said.
The offers will be written on postcards – valid for one day only – that will be handed out with change and reveal where is next on the list to visit.
You may also want to watch:
Shops will promote food sellers, and vice versa, in a move the organisers hope will keep customers in the town and reward residents for shopping locally.
Business owners only have to decide on their offers and how many vouchers they want to give, so it is hoped it will be so simple it can run smoothly throughout the year.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 3 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 4 Laptops and tablets donated by Sidmouth community help school children learn from home
- 5 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 New year golf at Sidmouth
- 9 Pitch perfect at Ottery St Mary
- 10 TOTO TALK - musings of a dog about town
Chamber of commerce vice-chairman Mel Gater said: “Each business can choose what they want to offer - it’s completely up to them.
“We hope people will think, ‘let’s go to Sidmouth, because they are offering something different’, and that it will take locals to places they wouldn’t normally go.”
Mike Parish, of 4homes, which is taking part, said: “It is a good initiative of local independent businesses working together for the common good of Sidmouth.”