Scenic cycle through the Otter Valley for charity
- Credit: Archant
Riders will be taking to two wheels for a free, fun family cycle through the Otter Valley’s stunning countryside next weekend.
Participants can choose to tackle the 25-mile route, or cover an 11-mile stretch, with both rides starting at 10am on Sunday, April 24, from Ottery St Mary Cricket Club in Strawberry Lane.
The event is organised by the Rotary Club of the Otter Valley and members are hoping to make it an annual celebration of cycling for all ages while also raising money for a number of worthy causes.
The club’s Peter Taylor says this event is different in that it gives riders the opportunity to do their own fundraising for a charity of their choice.
Half of the money will then go to local community projects through the Rotary gift arrangement.
You may also want to watch:
Cyclists taking part in the 11-mile course will pass by the villages of Gittisham, Fenny Bridges, Alfington and Fairmile before circling back to the start point.
The longer, 25-mile route takes riders out via Awliscombe, Talaton and Westwood, returning once again to Ottery St Mary Cricket Club.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
The event is free for all participants, although those taking part are encouraged to obtain sponsorship in order to help support the charitable ethos of the ride.
Entry forms are available in shops around Ottery or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A bar and barbecue will be serving refreshments from 10am.
The charity cycle ride follows the inaugural Otter Valley Festival organised by the rotary club last year which raised £3,500 for local causes.
Beneficiaries included Ottery Football Club and Hospiscare.
For more information, visit: www.rideottervalley.co.uk/.