Schoolboy, seven, ‘hooked’ by fishing line

Catherine Drew with her son Jack, seven. Jack suffered having a fishing hook through his finger afte

Catherine Drew with her son Jack, seven. Jack suffered having a fishing hook through his finger after swimming in Sidmouth sea. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref shs 3990-39-13AW - Credit: Archant

A MUM has called for more care to be taken on Sidmouth beach after her seven-year-old son ended up with a fishing hook right through his finger.

A fishing hook went all the way through seven-year-old Jack Drew's finger when he ws paddling at Sid

A fishing hook went all the way through seven-year-old Jack Drew's finger when he ws paddling at Sidmouth beach - Credit: Archant

A day out on the seafront ended in a trip to accident and emergency for Jack Drew when he picked up the gruesome injury paddling in the shallows.

His mother Catherine rushed him to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where the youngster was lucky to avoid surgery.

Doctors were able to numb his pierced digit following x-rays - but had to pull the barbed hook through it.

“For a seven-year-old it was absolutely awful,” said Catherine, 39, of Ascerton Road.


You may also want to watch:


Sidbury Primary School pupil Jack has been left with a scar on the finger.

“He had been in the water for two minutes, put his hands on the floor and the next thing I know this fish hook is right through his finger,” said Catherine.

Most Read

“It was on a mass of fishing wire with four or five hooks.

“Jack was very distressed. He was lucky he didn’t have to go into theatre [for an operation]. It was very nasty.

“We were worried it would become infected. Fortunately he is ok.”

Catherine added: “My first reaction was that I was furious – and that somebody had been careless or thoughtless on a beach where lots and lots of children play.

“Maybe it [the line] got snagged on rocks. We just need to make sure people are aware and keep an eye open.

“I would like fishermen to clean up after themselves and, if something does get snagged and broken, to go over the beach and look for it.”

The incident happened at the end of the summer holidays.

Catherine spoke out this week after reading in last Friday’s Herald how 66-year-old Lawrence King was saved from serious injury by a similar line by his plastic Croc shoe.

He said he was also lucky not to drown after becoming ‘snared’ while swimming.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus