Search for missing boundary stones
The organiser of Tipton’s jubilee celebrations is looking for readers’ help in tracking down some missing boundary stones from the village.
Jo Earlam, who is planning a Beating of the Bounds around the parish boundary next month, is looking for any information on the whereabouts of three of the historic stones.
Jo said according to Ordnance Survey maps there should be four on the East Hill border, but has so far only managed to locate one, at Hollowhead Cross, between Whitecross and Fire Beacon.
She explained: “The ‘missing’ stones are marked on the map as being close to the Woods Farm tip, where the footpath crosses the road, at the top of the Donkey Sanctuary’s steep field leading up to Fire Beacon, and at Whitecross itself.
“I’ve searched all of these locations and can find no trace of anything that resembles a boundary stone.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Earlam said if it turns out they have been lost or damaged over the years, the Diamond Jubilee may be a fitting occasion for them to be re-instated.
If anyone does know anything about the missing boundary stones, they should contact Jo on 01404 813313.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon