Sid Vale Carnival Club buys new tractor following £7,000 donation from Keith Owen Fund
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of pounds, donated to pay for ‘vital new kit’, will allow the Sid Vale Carnival Club to continue.
The Sid Vale Association’s Keith Owen Fund donated £7,000 to the club to allow it to purchase a new tractor to take its floats on the road for the upcoming season, after its previous machine was coming to the end of its life.
Members worked hard to raise money to match-fund the cost of the equipment and have been hard at work since January putting together the float for this year’s run of parades. The tractor will take part in its first full season this September, when the carnival circuits begin.
Kath Baker, committee member for the carnival club, said: “With a growing number of youngsters in the club, the arrival of the new tractor is fantastic news.
“It will help us ensure the success of the club well into the future.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very grateful for the Sid Vale Association’s generous support in making this happen.”
Sid Vale Carnival Club has been entering floats throughout the Devon and Somerset circuits since 1983, with grand designs dazzling judges, allowing them to win first place on a number of occasions.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Member Mark Gliddon said there was now a desperate need for new volunteers.
He said: “We need people more than ever, not just builders but fundraisers.”
Kate Tobin, chairman of the SVA’s Keith Owen Fund committee, said: “The Sidvale Carnival Club is a great example of how volunteers’ hard work and commitment can make such a difference.
“Their fund-raising efforts are to be admired, and the opportunities for fun and learning they provide to members of all ages is wonderful to see.”
The full list of East Devon carnival dates for 2018, which are all on Saturdays is below.
September 1 - Seaton,September 8 - Colyton,September 15 - Axminster, September 22 - Sidmouth,September 29 - Budleigh,October 13 - Exmouth, October 20 - Honiton, October 27 - Ottery.
The Christmas carnival dates, which will both take place on Saturdays, are:
December 1 - Seaton, December 8 - Honiton.
Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested in joining can call Marion Perry on 01395 514244.