Sid Valley and Ottery St Mary food banks issue urgent appeal for donations
- Credit: Archant
Supplies are running low in the wake of particularly busy period
Sid Valley and Ottery St Mary food banks have both issued urgent appeals for donations to meet increasingly high demand.
Lois Swabrick, manager of the Unitarian Chapel-based service in All Saints Road, Sidmouth, reported on another busy week in which 16 clients were in need of produce. She warned stock is now running low.
Lois said many of the clients visited the food bank’s HQ to collect their boxes, which ensures people receive the items they need and also means they can be told of additional support available.
She added that the reason behind the sudden high demand is unclear, but said the cost of gas and electricity at this time of year doesn’t help and some clients have been subject to a new benefits cap (limiting the benefits a family can have).
You may also want to watch:
The Ottery-based scheme this week issued an appeal for donations to help cope with a ‘very busy period’.
The Sid Valley Food Bank needs toilet rolls, fruit juice, rice pudding, soup, tinned tomatoes, tea and other puddings. People are asked not to donate pasta or baked beans.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
Items can be left at the Unitarian Chapel on Friday afternoons between noon and 3pm.
Alternatively, a box labelled ‘Sid Valley Food Bank’ is located in:
• Waitrose, Stowford Rise, Sidmouth;
• Co-op, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Tesco, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Spar, Church Street, Sidford
• Natwest Bank, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Inside Sid Valley churches.
The Ottery Food Bank is in need of custard, coffee, rice, biscuits, meat, potatoes, soup, tomatoes and fruit juice and boxes for donations are located in:
• Roberts, Broad Street;
• Ottery St Mary Parish Church;
• The United Reformed Church hall;
• West Hill church;
• Feniton Parish Church.