Sid Valley and Ottery St Mary food banks issue urgent appeal for donations
- Credit: Archant
Supplies are running low in the wake of particularly busy period
Sid Valley and Ottery St Mary food banks have both issued urgent appeals for donations to meet increasingly high demand.
Lois Swabrick, manager of the Unitarian Chapel-based service in All Saints Road, Sidmouth, reported on another busy week in which 16 clients were in need of produce. She warned stock is now running low.
Lois said many of the clients visited the food bank’s HQ to collect their boxes, which ensures people receive the items they need and also means they can be told of additional support available.
She added that the reason behind the sudden high demand is unclear, but said the cost of gas and electricity at this time of year doesn’t help and some clients have been subject to a new benefits cap (limiting the benefits a family can have).
You may also want to watch:
The Ottery-based scheme this week issued an appeal for donations to help cope with a ‘very busy period’.
The Sid Valley Food Bank needs toilet rolls, fruit juice, rice pudding, soup, tinned tomatoes, tea and other puddings. People are asked not to donate pasta or baked beans.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
Items can be left at the Unitarian Chapel on Friday afternoons between noon and 3pm.
Alternatively, a box labelled ‘Sid Valley Food Bank’ is located in:
• Waitrose, Stowford Rise, Sidmouth;
• Co-op, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Tesco, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Spar, Church Street, Sidford
• Natwest Bank, High Street, Sidmouth;
• Inside Sid Valley churches.
The Ottery Food Bank is in need of custard, coffee, rice, biscuits, meat, potatoes, soup, tomatoes and fruit juice and boxes for donations are located in:
• Roberts, Broad Street;
• Ottery St Mary Parish Church;
• The United Reformed Church hall;
• West Hill church;
• Feniton Parish Church.