Sid Valley Choirs gather for Big Sing
- Credit: Archant
Singers from across the Sid Valley are joining forces tomorrow (Saturday) to raise the roof and funds for good causes.
Sid Vale Folk, the Phoenix Singers, Sidmouth Gospel Choir, Sidmouth Choral Society and Sid Valley Choir are uniting once again for the second Big Sing to celebrate the diversity of music in the area.
The event began two years ago following a conversation between Angie Carney, of Sidmouth Gospel Choir, and Lynden Webb, leader of the Sid Valley Choir.
Angie said: “We said, ‘Wouldn’t it be great if we got our choirs together and put on a celebration of different choirs?’. It was just a chance conversation. This year, there is a representative from each of the five choirs that’s been part of the organisation as well.”
The event, at Sidmouth Parish Church, is free and any proceeds from a collection will go to the choirs’ chosen charities. These include Sidmouth Town Band, the Admiral Nurse Campaign, Sidmouth Hospiscare, Gateway Homeless Action Group and the town’s food bank.
You may also want to watch:
Angie added: “It’s free admission and we hope people are going to be really generous.
“There will be a really diverse programme from folk songs, Rogers and Hammerstein, John Rutter, Brahms and everything inbetween.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
“It’s really great, it’s not a competition, it’s about celebrating the diversity of music and choirs in our community and last time we really saw that.”
The concert features two group performances from all 150 singers, who have been practising with Lynden and Sid Vale Folk’s Tess Bisson. Jeremy Roberts will act as MC for the night.
Angie added: “The audience will be encouraged to join in with the last one and everyone will know it.”
The performers hope audience members who enjoy the singing will be encouraged to join a choir.
The Big Sing begins at 7.30pm tomorrow (Saturday, November 12) in Sidmouth Parish Church. Admission is free and refreshments will be provided.