Sid Valley horticultural show success
ORGANISERS of the 81st Horticultural and Craft Show held at Sidford in August, are delighted with its outcome, with more entries than ever and – after two wet years – a sunny day.
ORGANISERS of the 81st Horticultural and Craft Show held at Sidford in August, are delighted with its outcome, with more entries than ever and - after two wet years - a sunny day.
"This year's show was a great success," said Beryl Kingman, Sid Valley Horticultural Society's show secretary.
"Firstly, the sun shone, which after the pouring rain of the last two years was a great improvement and encouraged lots of people to come."
More than 700 entries were exhibited and nearly 350 children's paintings were shown on new display boards, funded with a grant from Sid Vale Association's Keith Owen Fund.
You may also want to watch:
Adding 20 feet to the length of the marquee was a huge improvement and the society hopes to have the same size marquee next year.
Beryl said: "We have already started to plan next year's schedule and hope to include a few different vegetables, such as squash, edible gourds, Swiss chard and an arrangement of ornamental gourds, so make sure to buy seeds early and get planting."
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
She thanked all those who supported the afternoon, particularly Sidford WI, who provided tea and cakes, Sidmouth Garden Centre for its display and helpers.
Two prizes are still to be claimed, yellow ticket 601 and green ticket 580. Call (01395) 579725 to claim them.
Next year's show will be on Saturday, August 14.
*See results in today's Sidmouth Herald.