Sid Valley horticultural show success
ORGANISERS of the 81st Horticultural and Craft Show held at Sidford in August, are delighted with its outcome, with more entries than ever and – after two wet years – a sunny day.
ORGANISERS of the 81st Horticultural and Craft Show held at Sidford in August, are delighted with its outcome, with more entries than ever and - after two wet years - a sunny day.
"This year's show was a great success," said Beryl Kingman, Sid Valley Horticultural Society's show secretary.
"Firstly, the sun shone, which after the pouring rain of the last two years was a great improvement and encouraged lots of people to come."
More than 700 entries were exhibited and nearly 350 children's paintings were shown on new display boards, funded with a grant from Sid Vale Association's Keith Owen Fund.
Adding 20 feet to the length of the marquee was a huge improvement and the society hopes to have the same size marquee next year.
Beryl said: "We have already started to plan next year's schedule and hope to include a few different vegetables, such as squash, edible gourds, Swiss chard and an arrangement of ornamental gourds, so make sure to buy seeds early and get planting."
- 1 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 2 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 3 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 4 Amateur dramatic society present 'tried and tested' comedy
- 5 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 6 Get ready to dive into Sidmouth's Sea Fest
- 7 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
- 8 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 9 'If I were a tree' - children's writing competition invites entries
- 10 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
She thanked all those who supported the afternoon, particularly Sidford WI, who provided tea and cakes, Sidmouth Garden Centre for its display and helpers.
Two prizes are still to be claimed, yellow ticket 601 and green ticket 580. Call (01395) 579725 to claim them.
Next year's show will be on Saturday, August 14.
*See results in today's Sidmouth Herald.