Sid Valley kids’ project proposals are top class
- Credit: Archant
CREATIVE youngsters from schools in the Sid Valley celebrated success in the company of an Olympian at a Keith Owen Fund competition prize giving.
Guest of honour Mary King handed out accolades as more than 150 people, including pupils, parents and representatives, packed the Conservative Club for the event last Friday.
The Sid Vale Association’s (SVA) Keith Owen Fund organised the contest last year for pupils aged from six to 16 and asked them to imagine “How and where would you improve the Sid Valley”.
Four schools drew on the inspiration of 195 students who had fun producing “an amazing” 52 possible projects.
Successful entries were judged on how well they had understood the SVA’s mission – to promote local conservation of heritage and countryside, environment and community.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Darrant, SVA chairman, said: “The quality of ideas was amazing, and reflects real credit on local schools and the pupils who took part.”
John Townsend, of the Keith Owen Fund, added: “We were amazed at the vivid imagery displayed, and the personal concerns of young people for the needs of the community.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 6 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 7 The more we work together the better it will be
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
A pair of prizes went to St John’s School, two to Sidbury Primary School and three each to Sidmouth College and Sidmouth Primary School.
The Reverend Handel Bennett, chairman of the Keith Owen Grants Committee, said the organisation will endeavour to make some of the ideas a reality in the coming months and years.
Olympian Mary congratulated winners and wished them every success with their enterprising projects.
l For information on how to apply for Keith Owen funding visit http://www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk/index.php?page=keith-owen-fund.