Sid Valley kids’ project proposals are top class
- Credit: Archant
CREATIVE youngsters from schools in the Sid Valley celebrated success in the company of an Olympian at a Keith Owen Fund competition prize giving.
Guest of honour Mary King handed out accolades as more than 150 people, including pupils, parents and representatives, packed the Conservative Club for the event last Friday.
The Sid Vale Association’s (SVA) Keith Owen Fund organised the contest last year for pupils aged from six to 16 and asked them to imagine “How and where would you improve the Sid Valley”.
Four schools drew on the inspiration of 195 students who had fun producing “an amazing” 52 possible projects.
Successful entries were judged on how well they had understood the SVA’s mission – to promote local conservation of heritage and countryside, environment and community.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Darrant, SVA chairman, said: “The quality of ideas was amazing, and reflects real credit on local schools and the pupils who took part.”
John Townsend, of the Keith Owen Fund, added: “We were amazed at the vivid imagery displayed, and the personal concerns of young people for the needs of the community.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
A pair of prizes went to St John’s School, two to Sidbury Primary School and three each to Sidmouth College and Sidmouth Primary School.
The Reverend Handel Bennett, chairman of the Keith Owen Grants Committee, said the organisation will endeavour to make some of the ideas a reality in the coming months and years.
Olympian Mary congratulated winners and wished them every success with their enterprising projects.
l For information on how to apply for Keith Owen funding visit http://www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk/index.php?page=keith-owen-fund.