Sid Valley Memory Cafe goes bi-monthly
Steady growth since April launch, says Rotarian Derek
FROM next Wednesday, Sid Valley Memory Caf� will operate twice a month.
The popular memory caf�, launched in April by Derek Eagles of REPoD, Rotarians Easing Problems of Dementia, is held at Twyford House, Coburg Road, Sidmouth.
It will now, from October 13, be open on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month – October 13 and 27, November 10 and 24, and a Christmas event will be held on December 8.
“We are introducing a new programme which we will be putting out for those with dementia, Alzheimer’s and related illnesses,” said Derek.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been finding out, in the first six months, what people respond to and we have got a new programme with therapist June Waters.”
Supported by volunteers, with help from Devon County Council’s mental health team, carers and family members of those with memory problems, as well as sufferers, are given help.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
At the September caf� there were seven carers and five cared for members, and, said Derek: “There has been steady growth, at the drop-in caf�.”
At the launch he said the aim of the project was to have it self-financing within a year, staffed by volunteers and aided by professional support.
*Our picture was taken at the launch of the memory caf� in April. For more information about the memory caf�, contact Derek on (01395) 579789.