Sid Valley Memory Cafe goes bi-monthly
Steady growth since April launch, says Rotarian Derek
FROM next Wednesday, Sid Valley Memory Caf� will operate twice a month.
The popular memory caf�, launched in April by Derek Eagles of REPoD, Rotarians Easing Problems of Dementia, is held at Twyford House, Coburg Road, Sidmouth.
It will now, from October 13, be open on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month – October 13 and 27, November 10 and 24, and a Christmas event will be held on December 8.
“We are introducing a new programme which we will be putting out for those with dementia, Alzheimer’s and related illnesses,” said Derek.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been finding out, in the first six months, what people respond to and we have got a new programme with therapist June Waters.”
Supported by volunteers, with help from Devon County Council’s mental health team, carers and family members of those with memory problems, as well as sufferers, are given help.
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 8 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
At the September caf� there were seven carers and five cared for members, and, said Derek: “There has been steady growth, at the drop-in caf�.”
At the launch he said the aim of the project was to have it self-financing within a year, staffed by volunteers and aided by professional support.
*Our picture was taken at the launch of the memory caf� in April. For more information about the memory caf�, contact Derek on (01395) 579789.