Sidbury Cricket Club boosted by purchase of new pitch roller
- Credit: Archant
A new roller is just the wicket for Sidbury Cricket Club after thousands of pounds were donated to purchase the new piece of equipment.
The Sid Vale Association’s Keith Owen Fund donated £2,250 to help replace the club’s aging pitch roller to ensure its grounds are in top condition for decades to come.
Club stalwart Mark Bishop led the club’s fundraising effort including a cricket match and auction in memory of his late father, Chris, who was groundsman at the club for more than 20 years.
The money raised by the club was then match funded by the SVA.
Mark said: “The roller is a great acquisition for Sidbury and a fitting memorial to my Dad, Chris.
You may also want to watch:
“This new roller is a great asset for the club. It will particularly help the growing youth section. Young players can find the transition from playing on an artificial pitch to grass quite challenging.
“This superb roller will help create pitches that make this easier and safer.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“We are also grateful for the on-going support of St John’s School and NDM Architects, who have also helped make this possible.
“Thanks to everyone who donated and the Keith Owen fund for making it possible.”
Nancy Craven of the SVA, handed over a cheque to the club, added: “The SVA, through the Keith Owen Fund, is delighted to be able to support Sidbury Cricket Club, which is a fine example of a group of enthusiastic volunteers putting in their time and energy for the good of the local community.”
“This is our second award to Sidbury Cricket Club.
“The SVA’s Keith Owen Fund takes much pleasure in supporting voluntary organisations to reach their goals locally.”
Visit www.sidvaleassociation.org to submit an application to the fund.