Sidbury fair update: Fair day postponed
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury fair organisers have postponed the rest of today’s fair day out of respect to an injured elderly couple.
The duck race has been postponed and the auction cancelled after a large water tank fell off a tractor onto two passer-bys.
Sir John Cave gave a statement on behalf of the Sidbury organisers.
He said: “It’s extremely unfortunate what happened today and I and other members of the committee immediately took the decision to cancel the auction and other activities that were planned for the rest of the day to show respect for what happened to the people who were injured and of course anyone else who was personally involved.”
Fire crews arrived first at the scene at Sidbury Fair before police and ambulance services at midday.
You may also want to watch:
An ambulance spokesman has reported that the female casualty suffered an open leg wound and fracture. She was taken by air ambulance to the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital.
An elderly man suffered head injuries and was taken by ambulance to hospital.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
- 9 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 10 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
The road between the Hare and Hound and Sidford was closed for several hours but has now reopened. Traffic diversions are in place and police are advising motorists to avoid the area for the time being.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference 276 of 17/09/14.
Activities will resume tomorrow as part of Sidbury Fair Week.
See a more detailed report in Friday’s Sidmouth Herald.