Sidbury fair update: Fair day postponed
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury fair organisers have postponed the rest of today’s fair day out of respect to an injured elderly couple.
The duck race has been postponed and the auction cancelled after a large water tank fell off a tractor onto two passer-bys.
Sir John Cave gave a statement on behalf of the Sidbury organisers.
He said: “It’s extremely unfortunate what happened today and I and other members of the committee immediately took the decision to cancel the auction and other activities that were planned for the rest of the day to show respect for what happened to the people who were injured and of course anyone else who was personally involved.”
Fire crews arrived first at the scene at Sidbury Fair before police and ambulance services at midday.
You may also want to watch:
An ambulance spokesman has reported that the female casualty suffered an open leg wound and fracture. She was taken by air ambulance to the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital.
An elderly man suffered head injuries and was taken by ambulance to hospital.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 4 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 8 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Sidmouth undone by powerful St Austell performance
The road between the Hare and Hound and Sidford was closed for several hours but has now reopened. Traffic diversions are in place and police are advising motorists to avoid the area for the time being.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference 276 of 17/09/14.
Activities will resume tomorrow as part of Sidbury Fair Week.
See a more detailed report in Friday’s Sidmouth Herald.