Sidbury shopper grasps 99 per cent discount glitch
- Credit: Archant
A Sidbury woman spent like there was no limit when she found an accidental 99 per cent discount online.
Sonia Cook racked up a £2,200 bill on Lands’ End clothes on the Debenhams website – but was only going to be charged £32.
She has since been told the goods will not be sent, but she has heard of retailers honouring similar clerical mistakes in the past.
“I was living a different life – it was like I had a credit card that didn’t have a limit,” said the care home worker. “I think I was one of the first to find it so I might slip through the net.
“It was fun while it lasted, but I’m not going to get anything.”
You may also want to watch:
Sonia, of Furzehill, made five different orders of around 10 items each, with clothes for her family and friends. She spread the word about the website, and her friend Emma placed an order for the same pair of shoes in three different colours – knowing if they arrived and didn’t fit, she could sell them on for a profit.
Sonia had some doubts about the order being fulfilled and whether it was a good idea.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Lockdown has shown the importance of nature and the need for us to nurture each other
- 9 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
“If everybody had put in orders that big it would’ve been bad for the shop,” said the 40-year-old.
She was shopping into the early hours, long before most people cottoned on to the error.
When she tried to go back on she found that the website was crashing because there were so many people trying to access it.
After the issue last Saturday morning, a Debenhams spokesman said: “We’d like to apologise, we made a mistake with the discounts on our Lands’ End range online. The supplier applied a 99 per cent reduction on their prices instead of the actual discount of 20 per cent. We will be contacting all of our customers who have ordered Lands’ End items to let them know that we can’t fulfil their order. Clearly we apologise for any disappointment caused and it goes without saying that we are very sorry.”