Sidbury shopper grasps 99 per cent discount glitch
- Credit: Archant
A Sidbury woman spent like there was no limit when she found an accidental 99 per cent discount online.
Sonia Cook racked up a £2,200 bill on Lands’ End clothes on the Debenhams website – but was only going to be charged £32.
She has since been told the goods will not be sent, but she has heard of retailers honouring similar clerical mistakes in the past.
“I was living a different life – it was like I had a credit card that didn’t have a limit,” said the care home worker. “I think I was one of the first to find it so I might slip through the net.
“It was fun while it lasted, but I’m not going to get anything.”
Sonia, of Furzehill, made five different orders of around 10 items each, with clothes for her family and friends. She spread the word about the website, and her friend Emma placed an order for the same pair of shoes in three different colours – knowing if they arrived and didn’t fit, she could sell them on for a profit.
Sonia had some doubts about the order being fulfilled and whether it was a good idea.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 5 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 6 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 7 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 8 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
“If everybody had put in orders that big it would’ve been bad for the shop,” said the 40-year-old.
She was shopping into the early hours, long before most people cottoned on to the error.
When she tried to go back on she found that the website was crashing because there were so many people trying to access it.
After the issue last Saturday morning, a Debenhams spokesman said: “We’d like to apologise, we made a mistake with the discounts on our Lands’ End range online. The supplier applied a 99 per cent reduction on their prices instead of the actual discount of 20 per cent. We will be contacting all of our customers who have ordered Lands’ End items to let them know that we can’t fulfil their order. Clearly we apologise for any disappointment caused and it goes without saying that we are very sorry.”