Sidbury teen to take on Three Peaks Challenge
- Credit: Archant
A brave teenager will be tacking the UK’s largest mountains to raise £4,100 for a trip to help Borneo’s most needy.
Toby Garrick will be taking on Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis and Snowdon as part of the Three Peaks Challenge.
The 15-year-old is undertaking the challenge to help raise the money he needs to pay for a trip to the Far East - so far he has managed to raise about £1,000.
He plans to travel 7,347 miles to spend four weeks building wells, schools and taking part in other various projects which help the local community.
The Sidmouth College student will also be helping with environmental projects and working in the forest, doing his bit to tackle pollution.
You may also want to watch:
As part of the fundraising challenge, Toby, from Sidford, will be spending seven days over the summer tackling the three peaks in England, Scotland and Wales with his dad.
The total ascent will equate to approximately 9,800ft – this is the equivalent of almost 25 football pitches.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
“I’m a bit nervous but it should be really good,” he said.
“I can’t wait to see the views. I love the countryside. I have a passion for running and the outdoors – it is my idea of heaven.”
As well as this, Toby also plans to do car boot and jumble sales, as well as odd jobs around the house for his parents and grandparents to raise money.
“I heard about the trip and I thought it was a once -in-a-lifetime opportunity. I have a passion for adventure and I love travelling.
“I love experiencing different cultures.
“I’m looking forward to it not only because I’ll have a great time myself but hopefully I’ll help to improve other people’s lives as well. It will give me a buzz to know I can help them.”
To support Toby’s cause visit tobygoestoborneo.weebly.com for more.