All encouraged to join beach clean at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The Sidcombers will be holding a beach clean tomorrow (Saturday ).
It will take place between 2pm and 4pm, with litter pickers meeting at the west end of the Esplanade by the bus shelters.
Lynette Talbot, chair of Sidmouth in Bloom, who is organising the event said: “We make it fun because not only do people get out and get fresh air and exercise but it’s a community event with refreshments at the end.”
Participants should bring buckets and gloves. Plastic bags and litter pickers will be provided.
One of the big problems which are encountered at this time of the year are the remains of barbecues, some of which are sometimes partially buried under the shingle and some which are occasionally still warm. The group have been collecting litter from the beach for five years.
You may also want to watch:
Lynette said: “It’s important because fishermen’s waste can be a danger to mammals and we also find plastic, clothing and food waste among other things.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC