Sidford Civic Service success for town council
East Devon MP Hugo Swire joins councillors, Sid Valley organisations and town band in civic worship
TO the catchy sound of The Old Rugged Cross, played by Sidmouth Town Band, town councillors, chairman Councillor Peter Sullivan and East Devon MP Hugo Swire, processed into St Peter’s Church, Sidford, for this year’s Sidmouth Town Council Civic Service.
Some 150 invited guests, including mayors from Seaton and Honiton, presidents and chairmen of Sid Valley organisations, enjoyed Sunday afternoon’s service, led by the Reverend Rik Peckham.
“Today is a great day because it has gathered people from the Sid Valley and beyond to give thanks to God for the work of the town council,” said the Rev Peckham in his sermon.
“There have been many hard times and tragedies in the world…we should look ahead and see the many good things we have here in our lives and in our communities which can grow and be more fulfilling.”
He said Christianity was growing, especially among young people.
“In Sidmouth we have many opportunities to look forward and see when God is working in this place we live in,” he said.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 7 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
He mentioned work done to transform the seafront shelters and prayed for its facilities - The Arches for young people and the Jurassic Coast interpretation centre.
Following the service, councillors and guests enjoyed tea and homemade cakes provided and served by Sidford WI in Sidford Social Hall.