Sidford Civic Service success for town council
East Devon MP Hugo Swire joins councillors, Sid Valley organisations and town band in civic worship
TO the catchy sound of The Old Rugged Cross, played by Sidmouth Town Band, town councillors, chairman Councillor Peter Sullivan and East Devon MP Hugo Swire, processed into St Peter’s Church, Sidford, for this year’s Sidmouth Town Council Civic Service.
Some 150 invited guests, including mayors from Seaton and Honiton, presidents and chairmen of Sid Valley organisations, enjoyed Sunday afternoon’s service, led by the Reverend Rik Peckham.
“Today is a great day because it has gathered people from the Sid Valley and beyond to give thanks to God for the work of the town council,” said the Rev Peckham in his sermon.
“There have been many hard times and tragedies in the world…we should look ahead and see the many good things we have here in our lives and in our communities which can grow and be more fulfilling.”
You may also want to watch:
He said Christianity was growing, especially among young people.
“In Sidmouth we have many opportunities to look forward and see when God is working in this place we live in,” he said.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
He mentioned work done to transform the seafront shelters and prayed for its facilities - The Arches for young people and the Jurassic Coast interpretation centre.
Following the service, councillors and guests enjoyed tea and homemade cakes provided and served by Sidford WI in Sidford Social Hall.