Sidford Civic Service success for town council
East Devon MP Hugo Swire joins councillors, Sid Valley organisations and town band in civic worship
TO the catchy sound of The Old Rugged Cross, played by Sidmouth Town Band, town councillors, chairman Councillor Peter Sullivan and East Devon MP Hugo Swire, processed into St Peter’s Church, Sidford, for this year’s Sidmouth Town Council Civic Service.
Some 150 invited guests, including mayors from Seaton and Honiton, presidents and chairmen of Sid Valley organisations, enjoyed Sunday afternoon’s service, led by the Reverend Rik Peckham.
“Today is a great day because it has gathered people from the Sid Valley and beyond to give thanks to God for the work of the town council,” said the Rev Peckham in his sermon.
“There have been many hard times and tragedies in the world…we should look ahead and see the many good things we have here in our lives and in our communities which can grow and be more fulfilling.”
He said Christianity was growing, especially among young people.
“In Sidmouth we have many opportunities to look forward and see when God is working in this place we live in,” he said.
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 3 The sky's the limit as parachute jump raises £2,426 for Hospiscare
- 4 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 5 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 6 Double good deed for Brownies as litter pick raises money for food bank
- 7 Ukrainian refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 8 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing
- 9 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 10 One arrest after fuel protests on M5 and A38 in Somerset and Devon
He mentioned work done to transform the seafront shelters and prayed for its facilities - The Arches for young people and the Jurassic Coast interpretation centre.
Following the service, councillors and guests enjoyed tea and homemade cakes provided and served by Sidford WI in Sidford Social Hall.