Sidford marathon man gears up for three runs
- Credit: Archant
A close friend’s battle against cancer has inspired a Sidford man to take on three gruelling half marathons in the next four months.
Jason Greenaway, 38, of Drake’s Avenue, is taking on the treble to raise funds for Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) who are looking after his friend, who has leukaemia.
“She is a complete fighter, even on her lowest day,” Jason said. “She is very much a glass half full instead of a glass half empty kind of person.”
As a tribute to his friend, Jason promised her that he will run the three half marathons to raise money for ELF, despite having no training in long distance running.
Instead, he has taken on a running course and is progressing well.
You may also want to watch:
“These runs are going to be a big challenge,” he said. “I am both excited and nervous. I know the first race is quite hilly, so I am having to run up a lot of them as practise.”
Jason’s first run takes place at the end of June, where he will take on the 13-mile Torbay Half Marathon.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
He will then take three months training for a pair of 13-mile runs in October – the Cardiff Half Marathon and Exeter Great West Run.
“I would like to raise £1,000 for ELF through the Torbay run,” Jason added. “I would be thrilled if I could raise another £1,000 through the two I am running in October. ELF is a brilliant charity which does a lot for the family as well as the patient.”
To donate, visit Jason’s fundraising page - www.justgiving.com/Jason-Greenaway