Sidford marathon man gears up for three runs
- Credit: Archant
A close friend’s battle against cancer has inspired a Sidford man to take on three gruelling half marathons in the next four months.
Jason Greenaway, 38, of Drake’s Avenue, is taking on the treble to raise funds for Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) who are looking after his friend, who has leukaemia.
“She is a complete fighter, even on her lowest day,” Jason said. “She is very much a glass half full instead of a glass half empty kind of person.”
As a tribute to his friend, Jason promised her that he will run the three half marathons to raise money for ELF, despite having no training in long distance running.
Instead, he has taken on a running course and is progressing well.
You may also want to watch:
“These runs are going to be a big challenge,” he said. “I am both excited and nervous. I know the first race is quite hilly, so I am having to run up a lot of them as practise.”
Jason’s first run takes place at the end of June, where he will take on the 13-mile Torbay Half Marathon.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
He will then take three months training for a pair of 13-mile runs in October – the Cardiff Half Marathon and Exeter Great West Run.
“I would like to raise £1,000 for ELF through the Torbay run,” Jason added. “I would be thrilled if I could raise another £1,000 through the two I am running in October. ELF is a brilliant charity which does a lot for the family as well as the patient.”
To donate, visit Jason’s fundraising page - www.justgiving.com/Jason-Greenaway