Sidford Scout aims for Uganda trip
A SIDFORD man will soon be making the journey of his lifetime to help a poverty-stricken country but needs your help. Scout leader Chris Parkyn, 19, hopes to spend three weeks in Uganda with nine other members of the association, who come from all over th
A SIDFORD man will soon be making the journey of his lifetime to help a poverty-stricken country but needs your help.
Scout leader Chris Parkyn, 19, hopes to spend three weeks in Uganda with nine other members of the association, who come from all over the country.
The group will travel to three different villages, spending a week in each, helping the community by building schools, housing and educating locals.
Chris, of Windsor Mead, needs to raise �2,000 for his journey in March and is intending to arrange fundraising events in the lead-up to it.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I was at a Scout leader convention and I saw the stand which had details about going to help in Uganda.
"They said they had a space left and I said yes straight away!
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 3 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 6 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 7 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
- 8 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 9 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
"I'm a bit nervous but feel I will be making a difference by going out there. Anyone can go to Africa on holiday but by doing this I will be helping people while doing something a little bit different at the same time."
Chris, a duty manager at Somerfield in Heavitree, Exeter, is appealing for the community's backing.
He has already approached some local groups such as Sidmouth Lions and is also thinking of fundraising projects which will help him reach his target.
Anyone who would like to donate money or has any ideas about ways to fundraise can ring Chris on (01395) 515155.