Sidford Scout aims for Uganda trip
A SIDFORD man will soon be making the journey of his lifetime to help a poverty-stricken country but needs your help. Scout leader Chris Parkyn, 19, hopes to spend three weeks in Uganda with nine other members of the association, who come from all over th
A SIDFORD man will soon be making the journey of his lifetime to help a poverty-stricken country but needs your help.
Scout leader Chris Parkyn, 19, hopes to spend three weeks in Uganda with nine other members of the association, who come from all over the country.
The group will travel to three different villages, spending a week in each, helping the community by building schools, housing and educating locals.
Chris, of Windsor Mead, needs to raise �2,000 for his journey in March and is intending to arrange fundraising events in the lead-up to it.
He said: "I was at a Scout leader convention and I saw the stand which had details about going to help in Uganda.
"They said they had a space left and I said yes straight away!
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Ukraine refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 3 Sidmouth’s first Jazz Festival hits the right note
- 4 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 5 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 6 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 7 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 8 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing
- 9 The sky's the limit as parachute jump raises £2,426 for Hospiscare
- 10 Chief of staff Steve Barclay replaces Sajid Javid as health secretary
"I'm a bit nervous but feel I will be making a difference by going out there. Anyone can go to Africa on holiday but by doing this I will be helping people while doing something a little bit different at the same time."
Chris, a duty manager at Somerfield in Heavitree, Exeter, is appealing for the community's backing.
He has already approached some local groups such as Sidmouth Lions and is also thinking of fundraising projects which will help him reach his target.
Anyone who would like to donate money or has any ideas about ways to fundraise can ring Chris on (01395) 515155.