Sidford site earmarked for employment land
And homes mooted at Knowle, Port Royal and Manstone in vision for Sidmouth’s future
PLANNERS have earmarked a plot of land between Sidford and Sidbury to accommodate a 12 acre employment site.
An East Devon District Council (EDDC) vision for Sidmouth’s future for the next 15 years also reveals that a total of 90 homes could be created at Knowle, Port Royal and at Manstone. The latest proposals for the parish are featured in a report by officers that has been debated by Local Plan Panel members.
On the controversial subject of a search for five hectares of employment land, the document reveals: “An allocation is proposed on land north of Sidford. As part of the consultation responses to the draft Local Plan, this land was put forward for development on behalf of Fords of Sidmouth.
“Fords have been seeking a site to enable business expansion and diversification, and they now wish to bring forward employment proposals for both their company and other potential businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“It is intended that some of Fords’ businesses be continued at the existing Alexandria Road site.”
Giving his personal opinion, Councillor Stuart Hughes said he feared any such move would “urbanise” the area.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 3 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
The report also reveals housing allocation sites are all owned by EDDC and “considered to be developable” in the next 15 years.
Proposals suggest 50 homes at Knowle, 20 at Port Royal and 20 more at EDDC’s Manstone depot site.
Plots in Woolbrook and west of Fortescue Road have been highlighted as ‘reserve’ options for a possible 60 further dwellings.