Sidford site earmarked for employment land
And homes mooted at Knowle, Port Royal and Manstone in vision for Sidmouth’s future
PLANNERS have earmarked a plot of land between Sidford and Sidbury to accommodate a 12 acre employment site.
An East Devon District Council (EDDC) vision for Sidmouth’s future for the next 15 years also reveals that a total of 90 homes could be created at Knowle, Port Royal and at Manstone. The latest proposals for the parish are featured in a report by officers that has been debated by Local Plan Panel members.
On the controversial subject of a search for five hectares of employment land, the document reveals: “An allocation is proposed on land north of Sidford. As part of the consultation responses to the draft Local Plan, this land was put forward for development on behalf of Fords of Sidmouth.
“Fords have been seeking a site to enable business expansion and diversification, and they now wish to bring forward employment proposals for both their company and other potential businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“It is intended that some of Fords’ businesses be continued at the existing Alexandria Road site.”
Giving his personal opinion, Councillor Stuart Hughes said he feared any such move would “urbanise” the area.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 5 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
The report also reveals housing allocation sites are all owned by EDDC and “considered to be developable” in the next 15 years.
Proposals suggest 50 homes at Knowle, 20 at Port Royal and 20 more at EDDC’s Manstone depot site.
Plots in Woolbrook and west of Fortescue Road have been highlighted as ‘reserve’ options for a possible 60 further dwellings.