Sidford teacher’s bid to be fastest fruit at London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
A marathon-running teacher has set her sights on breaking yet another record – by becoming the world’s fastest piece of fruit.
Naomi Garrick, 48, is helping to boost Tipton St John Primary School PTFA’s £1,000 appeal to pay for educational trips, additional resources and to improve the grounds.
The Sidmouth Running Club member will be dressed as a strawberry when she takes on the London Marathon on April 23, when the time to beat will be 4hrs and 13mins. Her fastest time was 3hrs and 41mins back in 2012.
Naomi, of Frys Lane, Sidford, who hopes to promote healthy eating with her costume, said: “This will be my sixth London Marathon – I did five in a row and got two Guinness World Records, but both have been broken so I would like to have a go at another one before I get any older.
“Being a busy teacher of three- to five-year-olds at Tipton primary, I find that running is a great way to clear my head and makes me appreciate our beautiful surroundings.”
You may also want to watch:
Naomi raced into the record books in 2012 after running the fastest marathon in a wedding dress. She became the fastest woman dressed as a doctor to run 26.2 miles in 2014.
She organised a sponsored fun run at the school earlier this month and pupils made a healthy start towards the £1,000 fundraising total.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Toto goes bananas with his love for fruit and veg shop
- 10 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
Support the fundraiser at mydonate.bt.com/events/fastestfemalefruitmarathon attempt/411853.