Sidford teacher’s bid to be fastest fruit at London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
A marathon-running teacher has set her sights on breaking yet another record – by becoming the world’s fastest piece of fruit.
Naomi Garrick, 48, is helping to boost Tipton St John Primary School PTFA’s £1,000 appeal to pay for educational trips, additional resources and to improve the grounds.
The Sidmouth Running Club member will be dressed as a strawberry when she takes on the London Marathon on April 23, when the time to beat will be 4hrs and 13mins. Her fastest time was 3hrs and 41mins back in 2012.
Naomi, of Frys Lane, Sidford, who hopes to promote healthy eating with her costume, said: “This will be my sixth London Marathon – I did five in a row and got two Guinness World Records, but both have been broken so I would like to have a go at another one before I get any older.
“Being a busy teacher of three- to five-year-olds at Tipton primary, I find that running is a great way to clear my head and makes me appreciate our beautiful surroundings.”
You may also want to watch:
Naomi raced into the record books in 2012 after running the fastest marathon in a wedding dress. She became the fastest woman dressed as a doctor to run 26.2 miles in 2014.
She organised a sponsored fun run at the school earlier this month and pupils made a healthy start towards the £1,000 fundraising total.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 9 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 10 Sad loss at Beer Albion
Support the fundraiser at mydonate.bt.com/events/fastestfemalefruitmarathon attempt/411853.