Sidford teen among council’s young apprentices
YOUNG apprentices including a teenager from Sidford have snapped up job opportunities at East Devon District Council (EDDC).
Sarah Bennett, 18, will spend an 18 month placement in the authority’s housing department.
She is one of four apprentices joining the Knowle offices.
Sarah, who discovering the placement through apprenticeship advisors at Exeter College where she is working towards a level two NVQ in business and administration, said: “This placement is really important to get me where I want to go”.
EDDC has described apprentice schemes for youngsters fresh from school as the “way forward” for some in light of rising university fees and tough competition for jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Karen Jenkins, corporate organisational development manager, said: “A budget for apprentices was agreed by members… to help people who decide not to go to university to enter the world of work and ensure that EDDC introduces young people to the diverse roles and opportunities that we have at the council.”
Placements at the council require students to achieve five A to C GCSE grades and provide an opportunity for any bright young students to gain quality work experience as well as a diverse place in which to begin many different careers.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 5 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth