Sidford teen among council’s young apprentices
YOUNG apprentices including a teenager from Sidford have snapped up job opportunities at East Devon District Council (EDDC).
Sarah Bennett, 18, will spend an 18 month placement in the authority’s housing department.
She is one of four apprentices joining the Knowle offices.
Sarah, who discovering the placement through apprenticeship advisors at Exeter College where she is working towards a level two NVQ in business and administration, said: “This placement is really important to get me where I want to go”.
EDDC has described apprentice schemes for youngsters fresh from school as the “way forward” for some in light of rising university fees and tough competition for jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Karen Jenkins, corporate organisational development manager, said: “A budget for apprentices was agreed by members… to help people who decide not to go to university to enter the world of work and ensure that EDDC introduces young people to the diverse roles and opportunities that we have at the council.”
Placements at the council require students to achieve five A to C GCSE grades and provide an opportunity for any bright young students to gain quality work experience as well as a diverse place in which to begin many different careers.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity