Sidford teen Dom signs two year deal with Somerset Cricket Club
- Credit: Archant
A Sidford teenager has signed a two year professional contract with Somerset Cricket Club after an impressive debut for the club.
Dom Bess said it was ‘a dream come true’ after putting pen to paper today (Tuesday) alongside teammate Jack Leach, who signed a three year deal.
In his first Specsavers County Championship match the 19-year-old and took eight wickets in his first match against Warwickshire and followed up his performance with a five wicket haul against Nottinghamshire.
Dom said: “I’m really delighted to have signed for Somerset and it’s a dream come true for me to have taken 13 wickets in my first two games, both of which we won. I’m very happy to have been offered a two year deal to sign for Somerset and I’m proud that all the hard work is starting to pay off.”
The teenager started his career at Sidmouth Cricket Club and joined Somerset’s academy at the age of 15.
You may also want to watch:
He made his first class debut against Pakistan and has also made his England under 19s debut.
Matt Maynard, director of Somerset Cricket Club, said: “It’s great for the future of the Club that these two highly talented players have committed themselves to Somerset. Jack has had a terrific season and has proved himself to be one of finest spin bowlers in the country. He is extremely well thought of in the dressing room and is a real fan favourite. He will be involved with the England Lions this winter and I have no doubt that his career will go from strength to strength.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
“Dom is a feisty character and fights for every wicket and every run. He has already shown just how valuable an addition he is to the side so we are delighted to have been able to sign him on a two year contract.
“Both Jack and Dom have a big part to play in the future of this Club.”