Sidford WI continue preparations for centenary anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Sidford WI members are crafting themselves into history with a commemorative banner to mark its centenary anniversary.
The branch has begun work ahead of the milestone in May 2019 to create 100 patches which represents each year of its formation. So far members have made nearly 60 of the squares.
It is known the branch was formed at a vestry meeting in April 1919 and the first president was a Mrs Farrant, with vice presidents Mrs Lang and Mrs Lund, while Miss Darrell held the post of secretary and the treasurer was Miss Bristowe.
The banner will be framed and transferable and blessed at a service in the church to mark the anniversary.
Beryl Kingman, secretary for the WI branch, said: “We will have 100 squares in appliqué, beading and blackwork, cross stitch etc.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been looking at the history and each fact that’s connected with Sidford WI so from scones to all of the different buildings that we have used and what we do skittles, walking group.”
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman