Happy Birthday! Sidford WI marks 100th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A commemorative banner and exhibition have been put on display to mark 100 years of Sidford WI.
The group, which is the second oldest WI in Devon, marked the milestone with a dedication service in St Peter's Church on Sunday, May 5 to bless the banner.
The carefully crafted piece was made over two years out of 100 squares depicting historic moments, village life and activities across the group's history.
On Bank Holiday Monday, the village hall was buzzing with people interested in a display made by the WI's history group detailing its evolution since 1919.
Beryl Kingman, president of the WI, said: "The service was lovely. It wasn't long and it was really nicely done. The choir sang and the hand bells were played at the start and end and it was a really nice service of celebration and dedication of the banner.
You may also want to watch:
"It has been a two year project. Everybody is really pleased and this is a really good start for the next 100 years."
She thanked the Reverend David Capon for the service and everyone for their involvement and support for the project.
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 5 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 6 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 7 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 8 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start