Sidmouth Air Cadets mark Battle of Britain
CADETS from Sidmouth’s 2019 Squadron of the Air Training Corps took part in a church service in Exeter to commemorate the anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
Young people from the town were joined by members of the Air Scouts and the Royal Air Forces Association to mark the battle, fought during the summer of 1940.
Following the church service, the parade marched past the Guild Hall and the salute was taken by Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Squire, a Falkland War Harrier pilot and former Chief of the Air Staff. He is now a Lieutenant for the county of Devon.
Air Commodore Barry Jones, from Sidmouth, was also in attendance representing the Royal Air Forces Association.
A service was also conducted on the cathedral green where wreaths were laid and an act of remembrance was carried out in memory of all who lost their lives in the defence of Britain during the battle.
You may also want to watch:
Squadron Leader Dave Rolfe said, “The Air Training Corps has close links to the Royal Air Force. We will always remember the sacrifices made by the RAF, Commonwealth Air Forces and Allied Nations in the defence of our country.”
The Air Training Corps is a national voluntary youth organisation, open to young men and women aged between 13 and 20. Cadets are not obliged to join the armed forces but many choose to do so. Flying, gliding, sports and adventure training are some of the activities that Air Cadets participate in. For further information on the Air Training Corps as an adult volunteer or cadet, contact the Flight Sergeant Tony Preston on 07832954259 or visit www.2019atc.org.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman