Sidmouth and Beer crews assist police in missing man search
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Lifeboat and Beer Coastguard were called out to assist in the search of Exeter man Lesley Roger Irish.
Crew members from Sidmouth Lifeboat and Beer Coastguard were called out yesterday (Thursday) to assist police with a missing person’s inquiry.
Devon and Cornwall police requested a coastal search around Branscombe Mouth, Weston Mouth and Beer Head
Officers were carrying out a search for Lesley Roger Irish, 77, who last made contact with his family on Monday, October 24.
A Sidmouth Lifeboat spokesman said: “Both boats were launched and proceeded to complete their close inshore searches in the fading light, using equipment such as night vision goggles and search lights.
You may also want to watch:
The area was well covered and nothing was found.”
The Sidmouth crew were stood down shortly after 8pm.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
A Beer Coastguard spokesman said the area from Beer Barton to Beer Head was search along the beach and cliff top by coastguards, police search dog and police and coastguard helicopters, before standing down shortly before 10am.
The spokesman added: “Nothing has been found at this time but the search is ongoing.”
A police spokesman said: “Police are increasingly concerned for the welfare of 77-year-old Lesley Roger Irish, who has been missing from the Heavitree area of Exeter since Tuesday 25th October 2016.
Mr Irish is described as white, 5’ 5” tall and of very slight build. He has short thin grey hair, bald on top. He is likely to be wearing a coat, walking boots and rucksack.
“He may be driving a 7-year-old red Mitsubishi Colt saloon with registration WG62 DWM.
“Police have made extensive searches throughout the county, and it is thought that Mr Irish may have travelled further afield, possibly to the Jurassic Coast area of Dorset.”
Anyone with information about Mr Irish whereabouts are asked to call 999 and quote log 835 of 25th October 2016.