80th anniversary celebration for Sidmouth and Honiton stamp club
- Credit: Contributed
Members gathered for a special lunch to celebrate the anniversary of the club serving their long-standing hobby
A cake decorated with stamps in piped icing was the centrepiece of the Sidmouth and Honiton Philatelic Society’s 80th anniversary celebration.
The cake was made by Jill Cavell from Seaton.
At the event on Monday October 15, each member received a specially decorated envelope commemorating the anniversary, in the style of the ‘first day covers’ created when new stamps are launched. It was designed by long-standing member Patrick Mitchell.
Many of the club’s members have been fascinated by stamps since they were very young. Chairman John Simpson said: “As schoolboys, we bought a 6d packet of “All World Stamps” from Woolworths and attempted to fill as many spaces as possible in our albums. Today, we all have specialist collections of one country, one region, one place, covers that have travelled abroad, Victorian covers and very old ones that predate stamps, when the recipient had to pay the postage. That would stop the junk mail today!”
You may also want to watch:
The Society is always looking for new members. If interested please contact David Brittain tel: 01395 579294.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98