80th anniversary celebration for Sidmouth and Honiton stamp club
- Credit: Contributed
Members gathered for a special lunch to celebrate the anniversary of the club serving their long-standing hobby
A cake decorated with stamps in piped icing was the centrepiece of the Sidmouth and Honiton Philatelic Society’s 80th anniversary celebration.
The cake was made by Jill Cavell from Seaton.
At the event on Monday October 15, each member received a specially decorated envelope commemorating the anniversary, in the style of the ‘first day covers’ created when new stamps are launched. It was designed by long-standing member Patrick Mitchell.
Many of the club’s members have been fascinated by stamps since they were very young. Chairman John Simpson said: “As schoolboys, we bought a 6d packet of “All World Stamps” from Woolworths and attempted to fill as many spaces as possible in our albums. Today, we all have specialist collections of one country, one region, one place, covers that have travelled abroad, Victorian covers and very old ones that predate stamps, when the recipient had to pay the postage. That would stop the junk mail today!”
You may also want to watch:
The Society is always looking for new members. If interested please contact David Brittain tel: 01395 579294.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 8 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 9 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project