Sidmouth and Ottery Guides in centenary bonanza
CELEBRATIONS marking the centenary of Girlguiding were a massive hit last Saturday as youngsters from Sidmouth and Ottery descended on Escot Park for a fun-filled day. More than 200 brownies, guides and rainbows joined together exactly 100 years after a s
CELEBRATIONS marking the centenary of Girlguiding were a massive hit last Saturday as youngsters from Sidmouth and Ottery descended on Escot Park for a fun-filled day.
More than 200 brownies, guides and rainbows joined together exactly 100 years after a small group of courageous girls stepped forward at the 1909 Boy Scouts Rally and asked its founder for 'something for the girls'.
Fast forward two world wars and five monarchs later and Girlguiding has been transformed into a modern movement designed for girls who want fun and adventure.
Mel Cook, former division commissioner, said: "The guiding programme is girl-led, starting with the youngest members being encouraged to choose their favourite activities, to community projects overseas, which enable older girls to tackle issues such as AIDS, human trafficking and teenage pregnancy. Guiding is relevant to today's girls and provides a unique space where they can enjoy being themselves."
You may also want to watch:
The celebrations on Saturday included activities such as circus skills, making a graffiti wall poster and painting a commemorative plate.
Eve Townson, an organiser, said: "It was a lovely afternoon despite the weather and it was really great to have so many from our division together."
- 1 Aldi has Sidmouth in its sights for new supermarket
- 2 Tributes paid to 'a real gentleman' of Sidmouth
- 3 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning
- 4 No immediate work on town's cliffs despite recent falls
- 5 Person with broken ankle rescued from Littlecombe Shute
- 6 Time to show results for £100M broadband fund
- 7 New Sidmouth Lifeguard Service launched for summer season
- 8 Police launch campaign to bin pressure on 101 number
- 9 Changin' with the times in Connaught Gardens
- 10 Spectacular garden opens to the public at Bickwell Valley
Anyone interested in volunteering should ring Chris Chapman on (01395) 513278.