Sidmouth and Ottery residents aksed to ditch cars for a day
SIDMOUTH and Ottery residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next Tuesday. Car Free Day on September 22, is part of Devon County Council s (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
SIDMOUTH and Ottery residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next Tuesday.
Car Free Day on September 22, is part of Devon County Council's (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
DCC wants employers and schools across the town to encourage environmentally sustainable way of travelling rather than making journeys by car.
Sidmouth councillor Stuart Hughes, who is also DCC cabinet member for Highways and Transportation, said: "It's is a fun way of encouraging people to think about how they travel. It may just be for one day, but there is also a serious message in getting everyone to think longer term about positive changes we can all make.
You may also want to watch:
"Finding an alternative to the car can reduce congestion, improve health and the environment, and it's an easy way of saving money. Walking, cycling or using public transport can help everyone reduce our carbon footprint, and I'm planning to take the bus from Sidmouth to Exeter and back.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth