Sidmouth and Ottery residents aksed to ditch cars for a day
SIDMOUTH and Ottery residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next Tuesday. Car Free Day on September 22, is part of Devon County Council s (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
SIDMOUTH and Ottery residents will be urged to ditch their cars for a day next Tuesday.
Car Free Day on September 22, is part of Devon County Council's (DCC) TravelWise campaign which attracted record support last year.
DCC wants employers and schools across the town to encourage environmentally sustainable way of travelling rather than making journeys by car.
Sidmouth councillor Stuart Hughes, who is also DCC cabinet member for Highways and Transportation, said: "It's is a fun way of encouraging people to think about how they travel. It may just be for one day, but there is also a serious message in getting everyone to think longer term about positive changes we can all make.
"Finding an alternative to the car can reduce congestion, improve health and the environment, and it's an easy way of saving money. Walking, cycling or using public transport can help everyone reduce our carbon footprint, and I'm planning to take the bus from Sidmouth to Exeter and back.
- 1 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 2 Exeter vaccine centre at Greendale will remain open
- 3 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 4 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 5 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 6 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 7 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 8 New police station will help address challenges in keeping residents safe
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Fire training exercise at Newton Poppleford