Sidmouth and Sid Vale rotary clubs’ �1,600 charity haul
ROTARY clubs of the Sid Valley and Sidmouth joined forces before Christmas to raise �1,600 for local charities.
The sterling sum, which will be divided equally between Children’s Hospice South West and the Bramble Children’s Ward at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, was revealed this week. The total exceeded last year’s efforts.
Four days of collections in Market Place were accompanied by live music from town musicians Val Howels, Bob Millington, Wally Cotgrave and Celia Monk, as well as carols from the Parish Church choir.
Seasonal works from the Octagon Hand Bell Ringers and a final rousing session from the Sidmouth Town Band also featured.
The live music proved popular with shoppers.
David Burgoyne, president of Sidmouth Rotary Club, and Mike Wale, president of the Sid Valley Rotary Club, joined together to thank all those who gave so generously to the collection.
They said: “We are so grateful to the many people who contributed, which substantially exceeded last year’s total and enabled us to make these donations to help local children.
- 1 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 2 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 3 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 4 Mental health awareness and fundraising at Sidmouth
- 5 'Small farmers' livelihoods face collapse, post-Brexit'
- 6 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 7 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 8 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 9 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 10 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
“Thanks to the singers and musicians who gave their time.”