Sidmouth artist courtyard celebrates 21 years
The owners of an open space for artisans toasted its 21st birthday on Saturday.
Charles and Susie Lodge opened Libra Court as an escape from high street chains, and have hosted a constantly evolving line-up of artists and craftsmen.
The couple, both in their sixties, have stepped back from running a shop there themselves, but still live next door, should anything go wrong.
Charles said: “Lots of people couldn’t believe it’s been 21 years – I don’t know where all the time has gone.
“It’s been our little baby, people have called it an oasis.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as the anniversary celebration, he was also keen to point out the redevelopment of York Street, which now has three shopfronts to lure passersby into the courtyard. Drawn in by offers of free mulled wine and nibbles, visitors helped Charles and Susie raise �120 for the children’s charity CLIC.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank