Sidmouth bathing waters rated ‘excellent’ in inspection
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s waters have once again rated excellent from bathing water quality inspectors.
The seafront and Jacob’s Ladder were among a number of East Devon beaches rated good and excellent by Defra.
Beer, Exmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Sandy Bay also rated excellent with Ladram Bay achieving good.
Inspectors rated more than 400 beaches and lakes across the country which resulted in 92 per cent of bathing waters awarded good or excellent.
Sir James Bevan, chief executive of the Environment Agency, said:“Maintaining such high water quality standards at English beaches is a huge success and a credit to all those individuals and organisations working hard to keep our bathing waters clean. Water quality has improved significantly over the last two decades - but to protect and enhance water quality even further we will need everyone to take the small actions that will help.”
You may also want to watch:
Ian McKenzie-Edwards, chairman of the town council, said: “We are a coastal town and beach resort and its vital as high a quality water as we can.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity