Sidmouth bobby thanked for hard work with ‘Shop Watch’ scheme
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s top ranking police officer has been praised for his hard work launching a social media messaging group for shop owners.
Last month the Herald reported the launch of the WhatsApp group chat, which had been set up as part of a new ‘Shop Watch’ scheme.
The idea is to enable shop owners to send instant alerts to one another when they notice suspicious behaviour in the town.
So far, more than 50 shops have joined the group, set up by Sergeant Andy Squires.
Sgt Squires said: “I’m super impressed with how it is going. We have seemed to have suddenly created a community, which is really encouraging.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at the latest Sidmouth Town Council meeting, Councillor Marc Kilsbie added: “I would like to congratulate Sgt Squires on his app adventure, it has proved very popular in the town. It has been a fantastic success – I know how much work you have put into it.”
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb