Sidmouth bobby thanked for hard work with ‘Shop Watch’ scheme
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s top ranking police officer has been praised for his hard work launching a social media messaging group for shop owners.
Last month the Herald reported the launch of the WhatsApp group chat, which had been set up as part of a new ‘Shop Watch’ scheme.
The idea is to enable shop owners to send instant alerts to one another when they notice suspicious behaviour in the town.
So far, more than 50 shops have joined the group, set up by Sergeant Andy Squires.
Sgt Squires said: “I’m super impressed with how it is going. We have seemed to have suddenly created a community, which is really encouraging.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at the latest Sidmouth Town Council meeting, Councillor Marc Kilsbie added: “I would like to congratulate Sgt Squires on his app adventure, it has proved very popular in the town. It has been a fantastic success – I know how much work you have put into it.”
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight