Sidmouth born Naomi recognised at Pride of Britain awards
- Credit: Archant
A terminally ill mum has been recognised for her work to give couples affected by life-limiting conditions their perfect wedding day.
Naomi Thomas, founder of the Wedding Wishing Well Foundation, attended the Pride of Britain Awards after being nominated as Westcountry Fundraiser of the Year by a family friend.
The Sidmouth-born mum-of-one set up the charity - to help others the knot - despite battling incurable breast cancer herself.
Already a British Empire Medal recipient, Naomi, 34, was runner-up to Ben Smith, who ran 401 marathons in 401 days to raise awareness of bullying.
Naomi, who lives in Somerset, described the ceremony - where she saw celebrities such as Simon Cowell, One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson, Cliff Richard and Joan Collins - as ‘a very strange experience’.
You may also want to watch:
“My main aim of the night was to come away with a celebrity patron,” said Naomi. “We were very lucky to get talking to Louise and Jamie Redknapp, actresses Nikki Sanderson and Alex Fletcher, and Danielle Lloyd, who all seemed keen to know more. So, fingers crossed and watch this space.
“I was so thrilled for Ben Smith the winner. He is such a lovely guy - we were chuffed to bits for him.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
“I was really surprised to win [the runner-up award] - the other three regional finalists were all amazing. This award is for all of my amazing team, who work so well together to keep the charity going. It is also in memory of Jamie Tanner, a groom who passed away earlier this year.”